Getting to Underhill Farm
Directions and access to Underhill Farm from CapeTown and Botrivier
Directions To Underhill Farm
UnderHill Farm is on the Van der Stel pass in the Overberg located between Theewaterskloof Dam and the historic town of Botrivier.
The van der Stel pass joins the R321 to Botrivier, and is mostly a dirt road winding through the Botrivier Valley. The dirt roads are in good to very good condition, and accessible by all types of vehicles except very low vehicles (sports cars, etc).
Access to the farm is on the Botrivier, next to the Eerstehoop wine farm.
- Take N2 over Sir Lowrys pass heading away from Cape Town, passing through Somerset West.
- Turn left onto the R321 at Peregrines (after stopping to get some fresh produce).
- Your next turnoff is about 500m after Peregrines, turn right at the signpost to Villiersdorp. You will not go through the town of Grabouw.
- Take the turnoff and stay on this road for 21 km , along the Vilijoenspass through the apple orchards, until you get to the sign that indicates Botrivier and Eerste Hoop on the right.
- Turn right on this turnoff.
Access To The Farm
UnderHill farm is fairly remote, making it a quiet and private getaway. Access is through two neighbouring farms which can be confusing.
The main farm gate has a keypad and the gate at the farm (at the bridge over the Twaalfontein stream) has a combination lock. The access codes are both the same and will be sent to you as part of your booking confirmation mail or message.
The main gate is open Monday to Friday from 06:00 – 18:00. Should you wish to go out on the weekends, please use the access code supplied, and keep the gate at the farm entrance locked and closed.
The main gate is shown here. It’s about 8 kilometers along the Van der Stel Pass after turning off the R321. You’ll see a sign for UnderHill Farm, and Avondson , the neighbouring farm, whose farmstead you will drive around to get to Underhill.
Turn into the gate. If the gate is closed, please use the gate code and enter it on the keypad to the left of the gate on the main gate post. For security reasons this code will be mailed or sent via SMS or Whatsapp and is changed every few months. Please don’t give this code to anyone on or around the farm.
The road from the gate goes down the hill and then turns right and left to a bridge over the Botrivier. After the bridge turn immediately left to follow the Botrivier to the neighbour Avondson. Going straight will lead you into the barnyard of the other neighbour PP Moeng.
Follow the road to the neighbours farm – Avondson – then continue up and around the back of the farmstead. After passing behind the farmhouse the road turns back down the hill and towards the Botrivier to the entrance of Underhill Farm.
After passing behind the farmhouse the road turns back down the hill and towards the Botrivier to the entrance of Underhill Farm.
On entering UnderHill Farm follow the road through the olive grove, and up the hill by the old oak tree.
- Underhill Farmhouse is the first building on the right.
- The owners residence is the first on the left
- Underhill Cottage is opposite the Farmhouse.
- Rivendell is the last cottage on the right
- Hobbit Hollow is straight and on the left.